The accommodation comprises 6 bedrooms; 3 bedrooms accessed from the main castle and 3 more via steps built against its outside walls. All bedrooms offer wonderful views of the beach and Indian Ocean.
The North Turret bedroom – with a queen-size bed and en-suite shower room, accessed via steep wooden steps.
The downstairs bedroom – located just off the main lounge and with a king-size bed that can be converted to 2 single beds, plus separate shower room also reached from the main lounge.
The South Turret bedroom – a queen-size bed and en-suite bathroom accessed from the main lounge via steep wooden steps.
The Honeymoon Suite is accessed via steep stone steps on the outside of the castle’s west wall. It features a king-size four-poster, sleeper couch and large en-suite bathroom.
The Hemmingway bedroom has queen-size bed and en-suite shower-room. This room is accessed externally via a set of steep steps up from the main garden area
The Tower bedroom is at the top of a set of steep wooden exterior steps, also off the main garden area. It features a queen-size bed, en-suite shower room and wood burning ceramic stove.
Views from Lindsay Castle
Access & parking
Whilst Lindsay Castle is a very special property, it does come with some caveats:
The private road down to the castle is steep and unsuitable for front wheel drive cars with small engines. We recommend a high clearance vehicle and preferably a 4×4 to access the property. Although most vehicles will manage the incline / decline, the management team will have a vehicle and porters available for carrying luggage down to the castle for check-ins and check-outs.
The steps from the castle car parking area to the front door are also steep and unsuitable for those with mobility issues. Regret no pets allowed.
The castle relies solely on solar power. This is perfectly adequate under normal circumstances (i.e. if guests keep their usage to a minimum and conserve power where possible.) If usage is high and the weather not very bright then the generator can be used for emergency back-up, together with candles and lamps. Only cell phones, computers, music players and the like can be used in the plug sockets. NO hair dryers/curling irons, or any other appliances are to be plugged in as this could damage the solar power system.
There is no municipal water supply and the tap water cannot generally be drunk. Water is delivered to the castle via natural run-offs and dams. Please expect natural spring water, which is characteristically brown in colour due to the natural tannins in the roots of the surrounding fynbos. As with the electrical supply guests are expected to be conservative regarding usage at all times. A limited amount of bottled drinking water will be provided.
Please don’t expect lots of electrical gadgets or appliances which use a lot of power such as hairdryers! Please expect natural spring water which is characteristically brown in colour due to the natural tannins in the roots of the surrounding fynbos.
To rent this this castle and check current availability please go to Dav1es Property Management.
Lindsay Castle is available for short-term rentals.
Please follow the link above to see the full information of the property, gallery of images, 360º virtual tour and booking details.
The main living space of the castle comprises (click to view)
- A large lounge with 2 double sofas in front of a large open fireplace.
- An open-plan TV lounge with bench, seats and a large, flat-screen TV (with full Multichoice bouquet).
- A small “office” area with a desk and chair (with ASDL wireless Internet) and small drinks cooler-box
- A well-equipped open-plan country-style kitchen with: Gas oven, Gas hob, Small microwave, Large fridge / freezer, Kettle & Double-toaster
- A separate circular dining room seating 12 guests around a circular table with integral “lazy-Susan”.
- A lock-up store room with laundry spares, cleaning materials, etc.
The “utility” area to the rear of the building is not accessible to guests. It is a work and store area containing solar electrical system [batteries and inverter], back-up petrol generator and 2 staff sleeping quarters.
This property does not have any clothes washing or drying machines. All laundry is managed off-site. There is ample external space for drying.
- Dedicated internet facility and landline telephone.
- Gas hob and oven, electric solar powered fridge
- Flat screen TV, DSTV and some DVDs
- All linen, together with bath and beach towels
- Weber braai and stone built braai
- Wood supplied
- Buckets, spades and other beach toys provided
As there are no direct neighbouring properties, Lindsay Castle is very private and secluded. The views to the front are of the beach and waves crashing against the rocky outcrops. There are stone steps leading down from the castle and gardens directly onto the foreshore pebbles & golden beach.
- The castle boasts gardens to the front and sides and extensive fynbos and rock.
- The outside entertainment area has a built-in wood / charcoal braai, plus several tables & benches.
- There are 3 sun loungers, 2 exterior sun chairs and 2 parasols.
In the area
Noetzie offers many activities for visitors. There is a large and peaceful lagoon which is excellent for kayaking and paddling and there are many walks in the nearby Sinclair Nature reserve. The sea is not particularly safe for swimming unless lifeguards are on duty [usually during holiday periods] but you can swim quite safely in the lagoon and Noetzie river.
Knysna and the Garden Route offer more activities and attractions than most visitors can experience in a holiday visit.
From safe paddling, swimming & kayaking in the pristine Noetzie River, surfing and fishing on Noetzie Beach to hiking, cycling, quad biking, scuba diving and horse riding. Extreme sports such as paragliding, bungy-jumping and treetop zip-line forest canopy tours abound. The superb golf courses at Plettenberg Bay, Goose Valley, Pezula, Simola & Knysna are all within easy reach.
Weddings at Lindsay Castle
If you are considering Lindsay Castle as a wedding venue please be advised of our Wedding Policy;
• It is possible to conduct your wedding or reception at Lindsay Castle but this will be determined by the total number of guests you plan to have staying and attending
• Due to the size of the property we can only consider small, intimate celebrations and they must take place within the property and property boundaries
• Please note that, dependant on final confirmed numbers, there may be additional service charges levied in addition to the published daily rental rates
• Minimum booking periods [by season] still apply